Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lazin' on a sunny afternoon... in the summertime...

It’s a fine Sunday here in Toronto, sunny and warm, and for once Bob and I have a day for ourselves; nowhere to be, nothing that has to be done, just a day of sheer laziness. In a word, bliss.

Well, not exactly. Once upon a time, before getting knocked up, this would be the type of day when I would crack open a bottle of Plymouth Gin, pour a couple of ounces over some ice in my cocktail shaker, swirl some vermouth in a glass (and pour the excess back into the bottle), drop in a bit of lemon rind and pour the chilled spirit over top. There, I just gave you the recipe for my ideal martini, which I am missing like gangbusters today.

I have been, in the AA vernacular, properly clean and sober since the little window of my Clear Blue pregnancy tester showed that little plus sign. Most of the time I’m fine with it, since it’s a very small sacrifice to ensure the health of our Dynamic Duo, but it brings to mind some of the other things I’ve been instructed to lay off of as the kids get ready to make their auspicious debut.

Take, for instance, steaks. I am the type of person who loves her steaks rare. Yes, seared on the outside, practically raw on the inside. I find well done steaks – a staple of my childhood in deference to my parents’ preferences – rubbery and tasteless. Well, now supposedly I’ve got to make sure it’s all cooked to death. So I’ll compromise and go to medium territory, and I’ll probably just stick to having them at home where I can ensure it’s done to order. Sorry, “What to Expect When You’re Expecting,” there just has to be some pink inside that meat for me.

And while I was happy to learn I wouldn’t have to cut shellfish out of my diet – shrimp and scallops are particular favourites – I am missing fish in the raw. Yes, sushi is officially out, those lovely little bite-sized morsels of rice and seafood made complete by garnishes of ginger and wasabi. Sayonara until the new year!

Oddly, my least favourite sacrifice at the moment is not being able to take Advil. It was, pre-pregnancy, the pain reliever of choice, easily taking care of headaches and backaches and even sore throats. Last weekend the atmosphere was leading up to a huge thunderboomer that eventually arrived Tuesday; through Saturday, Sunday and Monday I groggily worked through a migraine that a couple of Liquigels would have beaten down in no time. But since Advil is a blood thinner, and our little bundles of joy-to-be need my blood to be thick and iron-rich, it’s a no-no.

That said, other restrictions I’ve heard about from other mothers seem to be OK now. For example, I can have one caffeinated beverage a day, so I don’t have to give up my morning Tim’s (which, as a client of our ad agency, is generously provided for free in our kitchen, complete with official Bunn coffee maker just like in the stores). And while one friend was told anything herbal, including chamomile tea and herbs used in cooking like sage and oregano and such were out, when I asked Dr. Thomas about this she just rolled her eyes and said no, that’s all just hooey. So if anyone out there reading this is pregnant and feeling ill, go ahead – have your chamomile!

So for now I’ll just stick to Perrier (the current beverage of choice), keeping the diet balanced and healthy, and finally, learning other ways of dealing with headaches besides popping pills (cold washcloths seem to be the best alternative at the moment). And when the kids are finally citizens of the world, being cooed over by proud grandparents, family and friends, I’ll have a little celebration of my own: order in a little sushi, have a glass of Chianti Ruffino, and enjoy.
LF

No comments:

Post a Comment