Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hair today, gone forever...

One of the cool perks of pregnancy is that your hair gets thicker and more lustrous, thanks to the raging hormones coursing through your body. Having lived for 42 years with straight, fine, limp hair, this was quite the revelation as my own 9 months of carrying the boys progressed. Suddenly my hair had waves, curls, bounce! I couldn't believe it. For a while there, I had the hair I always wanted but couldn't get without a toxic blend of chemicals and three hours at the hairdresser's. So I didn't go to the hairdresser's for the entire time: from March to December, not one little snip to even style my growing locks.

Maybe it was vanity, maybe a little bit of superstition. But I just couldn't bring myself to cross the street to Capelli Colori and let Bernardo hack off the flowing tresses. (OK, not flowing.) Then the boys arrived and, well, goodbye nice hair.

Not that it became awful, but as it kept growing after I gave birth I could tell it was going back to its usual straightness so I reconnected with Bernardo (who was understandably puzzled as to why I had stayed away, and then delighted when I told him why) and had him take off several issues. The good news is that I've achieved the long bangs I wanted most of last year. Now I just have to see if I can live with them.

If not, buzz cut!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment