Saturday, November 22, 2008

The "R" Word

Well, at least everyone's admitting there's a "recession" going on. As I recall, just a few weeks ago, our Federal Finance Minister and the PM ("Trust me, I'm an economist!") got up at the podium to assure Canadians that our financial infrastructure was resistent to the U.S.A.'s apocalyptic financial downturn which doomsayers have already compared to the crash of 1929.
On the work front, we've just been told that our glorious television network--which just recently ponied up several gazillion dollars for the rights to the Hockey Night In Canada theme, has been bragging about the profits from their reliable cash cow Canadian Idol, is prepping marathon, overwrought 2010 Winter Olympics coverage, and has outbid the competition for pricey, popular U.S. programming--is now broke and that a spending and hiring freeze are effective immediately. And the expected layoffs are forthcoming, too--just in time for Christmas! So I guess that means no complimentary ten-pound turkey in every pot this year...

I'm not terribly worried about my own situation, given that I'm one of the channel's more (if not most) resourceful, experienced, and reliable employees who has taken a grand total of five sick days in nine years. On the other hand, I am considered a "high salary" for my department, so who knows what the bean counters will decide? Too bad, though, that they didn't pay a little bit more attention to 'the beans' earlier--like, this past summer, when we were covering subprime mortgage stories on a daily basis...

At least those soon to be begging-for-change in the GTA will leave a smaller carbon footprint thanks to city hall's plan for a more environmentally-friendly coffee lid...

No comments:

Post a Comment